TARA GALEANO L.P.C.,
A.A.S.E.C.T. certified sex therapist
This is My Story
I had dreams of becoming an educator as a child— literally dreams. I’d be explaining the etymology of the English language and teaching
When I graduated from college, I taught Beowulf and Macbeth to adult education students working on their high school diplomas. They were grandmas who wanted to proudly tell their grandchildren that they too had completed their high school education. Teens who needed to work during the day to support their families. Girls who were pregnant and waiting to give birth. But I found that the content of the classes got in the way of me knowing these hardworking folks. So I gave up Macbeth and started focusing on our conversations, which were much more fascinating to me. Eagerly, I learned more about my students, heard their stories, taught less, and listened more.
I believe that through sharing our stories and experiences, we can grow and learn together. My work creates an environment for dialogue in which we can begin to glimpse, understand, and acknowledge our life stories. As we join together in understanding what divides us, we also enter a space of healing.
Life stories are created by multiple influences. Some can be named, such as race, class, gender, socio-economic status, or more simply the books we read, the music we listen to, or the food we eat. Others may be more difficult or even impossible to identify, but they impact us nonetheless. My desire is to help people share their stories and gain self-knowledge into how they are in the world.
You have found Boulder Sex Therapy because sexuality has impacted your life in some way. To be clear, sex is the act and sexuality
I want to help you create a language for your intimate experiences. Together, we can find the words you need to convey to your loved ones what is most difficult to reveal and what makes you most vulnerable. If this is where you’d like some help, give me a call and let’s set up a conversation. Consultations are free. I’d love to hear from you.
License & Certifications:
- Level II Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises Practitioner, 2013
- AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, 2012
- Certificate Marriage and Family Therapist, 2008
- American Board of Sexology, Board Certified Clinical Sexologist, #2784, 2006
- Colorado Licensed Professional Counselor, #3677, 2004
- M.A. Psychology: Contemplative Psychology, Naropa University, 2000
- B.A. Humanities: Literature, Antioch College, 1993
- National Hispanic Scholarship recipient
- Toastmasters International Speech Contest Area Winner
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, & Therapists (AASECT)